Skip to main content

New Shorts



So, if you are familiar with my life at all, you know that I have experienced some changes over the last year. 

For example, I've had to buy some new pants.
Actually, new shorts if you want to be specific.  It's because my favorite grey shorts (also known as the greytest shorts of all time) ripped.  In a big way.  Like, an into-the-trash-goodbye-forever kind of way.  
Not even going to lie, I cried about it.  I bought those shorts the summer before freshman year at AU, and wore them probably three times a week any time it was warm enough outside. They fit PERFECTLY through semesters and summers, mission trips and vacations, bike rides and hikes. Seriously, the best shorts ever.  If I could have incorporated them into a quilt or something I so would've.  I share many many memories with those shorts!  We were friends. (Just kidding! ...sort of.)  I was in denial when they started to wear out a little, until it happened.  I was doing a very normal activity at the beginning of last summer, and they ripped apart...diagonally across my left thigh.  More than ripped, they were frayed and torn past the point of repair.  I think I kept them for weeks.  Just folded up like normal in my closet.  Before the wedding, I caved and bought a new "replacement" pair, (as if they could be replaced!) and one day while cleaning I finally took the old ones out with the trash and tossed them. 

Honestly, if I look at a picture that I am wearing those shorts in, I miss them. 
 Let's get real though, we all know that even though they were a fantastic article of clothing, throwing out those (old and really worn out) shorts sort of marked the end of a season of life.  
Was I really THAT upset over a pair of shorts? Maybe a little.  
Was I extremely nervous about getting married, moving to a new city, finding a job, making new friends, being a "grown up"?  Yes.  
Emotional about it? To the max. 

 I was processing, protecting, crying. SO MUCH CRYING. (Sorry, Tan.)  Feeling homesick, then guilty.  Adventurous, but lost.  Uncomfortable, but safe.  Discouraged, then excited.  I listened to all my favorite break-up songs with my iPod turned up too loud like 15-year-old-me while I drove around and tried to figure out where Wal Mart was and cleaned this new apartment that didn't smell or look like it was mine. 

But He is faithful. To be with us, to provide, to love, protect, comfort, and strengthen. As if I didn't already have enough evidence of the Lord's faithfulness in my life (Junior High, anyone?),  the last year has been overflowing with it.  

You know what else He is faithful to do? Change us.  Mold and grow and cleanse and refine us into the people He has planned for us to be.  

And if I drop the ball? Forget who I am? Let fear keep me still? 

if we are faithless, He remains faithful, for He cannot deny Himself.
2 Timothy 2:13

Those shorts did absolutely no good sitting in my closet after they were torn up.  All they did is remind me that I needed to go buy a new pair. 

So I did. Then, I hung new pictures of us on the wall, cooked my favorite foods and attempted to cook his, watched old favorite movies and new favorite movies, found a church, ate at new restaurants, hung up a bird feeder, got a dog, made some really awesome new friends, got a great new job, found a park to walk through, and fought off a nest of wasps that were living in our chimney (Tanner fought, I "helped").  And somewhere in there the sadness was replaced with nostalgia and thankfulness, we met some cool people, learned about how God uses us to sharpen one another, and #407 became home. The new shorts aren't the same perfect color, but they are a really great different perfect color. 

Sometimes, He tells me it's time for some new shorts.  Not necessarily because the old ones are suddenly no good anymore, but because He has some that are going to be better.  

Transitions are tough, but they are always worth it.  His good is so much greater than mine.  I enjoy changes, just not the changing.  I dig my heels in, but the Lord takes my hands and pulls me onward. 

All I have needed Thy hand hath provided-
"Great is Thy faithfulness," Lord, unto me!

Comments

  1. Hello Tori Harris. So good to know you through your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am glad to stop by your blog post and it is so encouraging to go through it. I am a Pastor from Mumbai, India and I love to get connected with the people of God around the world to be encouraged, strengthen and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 36 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have you come with your friends to work with us during your vacation time. I am sure you will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends. And also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered New yeawr.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Here goes nothing!

 So, I got the idea of starting a blog from my mom (who is a totally AMAZING woman of God), and after sleeping on it I decided it wasn't such a bad idea. I am simply going to share some of my life and things that I learn with the world.  Not that the whole world necessarily wants to know my daily thoughts, but anyone that does is welcome to whatever I share! Warning: I am a rabbit chaser, long winded, my grammar is also not that of a best-selling author, I misspell words, use dashes-commas-and ALL CAPS frequently and perhaps inappropriately, but that is okay. :) oh yeah-smileys too ;)  I do enjoy writing, and believe that God bestows gifts to us for us to use-so here goes nothing-hope you enjoy!   P.S.- I will not begin every entry with an awkward intro. That was just for today. :) Alright so I got laughed at by a REALLY cute guy today, and then God used it to teach me later (of course).  See, my roommate, Shelly, and I are walking back from the overflow parkinglot-which is like

yeah, we went to China.

I now fully understand what Amanda Bynes meant when she said, "Jet Lag" in that scene where she and Colin Firth bonded over a bowl of Coco Pops in the middle of the night.  I am pooped.  Yet, I would gladly give up my soft mattress and fork to stay a few extra weeks.  Which is quite a turn around from how we were feeling that Monday.  After the kids were all in bed that night, I seriously wondered how we were going to survive the entire week.   Check Philippians 4:19, kiddo. He did provide everything-from patience, to a tea that was cold and almost sweet.   This trip was absolutely the most humbling one I have ever embarked on. The Lord continuously gave me peace and patience, which I am so thankful for.  There is no way we could've done it all without Him.   Now, go a page back and check 4:4-5.  Go ahead and memorize that. ...especially not when we came out the wrong exit of the train station and were almost hom

A Red Penguin Mug

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmaaaasss!! :) And I am slightly excited-it is without a doubt my absolute FAVORITE holiday in the history of the whole world forever and ever.  :) This is only reinforced by the fact that I am currently sitting in my favorite chair watching some incredibly predictable Hallmark Christmas movie while sipping hot chocolate out of a big red penguin mug.  I just LOVE it!! ...so, slightly excited may be a serious understatement. For real though, it is my favorite holiday.  I firmly believe that this is the case, because I am still very much  a little kid at heart.  I love the fact that my family has a real Christmas tree in our living room and that it is decorated with multicolored lights and hodgepodge ornaments accumulated over the 23 years my parents have been married.  It's always my job to set up my mom's really pretty nativity scene in our living room.  I love the smell and sound of a fire in the fireplace, and eating way too many