Skip to main content

Shuffle, Ball Change, Shuffle, Hop, Step


Three weeks ago, I started taking tap.

"How long have you been tapping your troubles away?"


This was {mostly} not inspired by Rory Gilmore.  I tapped as a kid so I knew the basics, and I wanted an activity that was "fun exercise" and also would totally occupy my mind for the time that I was doing it.  Since the whole being-disciplined-enough-to-do-exercise-videos-at-the-house-for-free thing worked for all of one week, tap became my new best option.  So, I found some shoes on amazon, and every Thursday evening for one hour all I have to do is tap.  I did not know anyone in the class beforehand, and it has nothing to do with work, or church (sometimes basically the same thing as work), or family, or holidays, or the house, or anything else currently in my life.  

Personal space, guys.  Real personal space. 

I realize that my "stress tap dancing" probably seems like some sort of cry for help from an over-committed nut, but I promise it's not.  

I'm absolutely a people-pleaser with a comparison problem.  Why am I not as good at this as she is?  Why doesn't my real house look like my Pinterest house?  My hair doesn't look as good as hers.  Oh man, she really knows a ton about this passage of scripture; I should know more about this passage of scripture!  Wow, she's a really great wife...I should be a better wife.  They are already having kids, should we be having kids?  I should probably just offer to bring chips and drinks since I'm not the best cook. 
And the beat goes on.

  I felt uptight, stressed out, cranky for absolutely no good reason, and became tired of acting like a moody 14 year old.  I started wondering why I had all these ridiculous expectations for myself.  And realized that the person responsible for the way I was feeling was me.  
I can be pretty hard on myself.  
Expectations are high; grace-giving is low. 

Time to re-evaluate.

I decided I was going to just flat out stop committing to things (even things I love), because that was definitely, for sure, the problem.  Then, in my attempts to "simplify" my life, I read this blog post from The Lazy Genius (http://www.thelazygeniuscollective.com/ and @thelazygenius on instagram), and weirdly, it made me feel kind of free. 

My brain stopped running and took a deep breath long enough for my heart to stop beating at a million beats per minute...and I sat still...and quiet...and I held my coffee mug with both hands. 

What matters to me? 
Reading my bible, movie nights with my husband, trying new recipes, having a clean kitchen, taking the dog to the park, having the occasional free weekend to spend with extended family, my house being a peaceful place of rest, birthday gifts, time to listen to the 6th grade girls in my D-Group, hanging fun things on the walls of our house, good smelling candles, loving people in times of crisis, mission trips, fresh flowers on the table...

I have a couple of friends who are genuinely talented, original, fabulous decorators, but my house does not have to look like that.  Nor do I have to be a gourmet chef, or a theologian, or an expert knitter, or a painter, or designer, or make-up artist...you get the idea.  You know what I do have to do? Fear God and keep His commands. (Ecclesiastes 12:13) 

My home can and should be filled with people and things that I love and enjoy, not what that girl over there loves and enjoys.  And I get to just be myself, the person God created and is teaching me to be. I don't have to compare and/or panic.  
Seriously, it's fine. 

My personal feelings of inadequacy and panic had no roots in reality and everything to do with my own perspective and attitude. The feelings of "must be just like so-and-so" and "must act like such-and such" were carrying me away on some roller coaster with no end, and my head was starting to hurt. I was ruled by all these "shoulds", and not seeking the One who created me. The only one who truly knows me, and who I should be, is Him. 

What a relief to be fully known. 

Conclusion of the self-evaluating: I thrive in busy-ness, and love all the things I do and the ways I get to serve.  So, I shouldn't really say no to everything and just quit and become a hermit. That's not who I am.  But in the evaluating, I saw need for some real personal space. Something that is just mine.  
So, on Thursdays I tap my troubles away. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Here goes nothing!

 So, I got the idea of starting a blog from my mom (who is a totally AMAZING woman of God), and after sleeping on it I decided it wasn't such a bad idea. I am simply going to share some of my life and things that I learn with the world.  Not that the whole world necessarily wants to know my daily thoughts, but anyone that does is welcome to whatever I share! Warning: I am a rabbit chaser, long winded, my grammar is also not that of a best-selling author, I misspell words, use dashes-commas-and ALL CAPS frequently and perhaps inappropriately, but that is okay. :) oh yeah-smileys too ;)  I do enjoy writing, and believe that God bestows gifts to us for us to use-so here goes nothing-hope you enjoy!   P.S.- I will not begin every entry with an awkward intro. That was just for today. :) Alright so I got laughed at by a REALLY cute guy today, and then God used it to teach me later (of course).  See, my roommate, Shelly, and I are walking back from the overflow parkinglot-which is like

A Red Penguin Mug

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmaaaasss!! :) And I am slightly excited-it is without a doubt my absolute FAVORITE holiday in the history of the whole world forever and ever.  :) This is only reinforced by the fact that I am currently sitting in my favorite chair watching some incredibly predictable Hallmark Christmas movie while sipping hot chocolate out of a big red penguin mug.  I just LOVE it!! ...so, slightly excited may be a serious understatement. For real though, it is my favorite holiday.  I firmly believe that this is the case, because I am still very much  a little kid at heart.  I love the fact that my family has a real Christmas tree in our living room and that it is decorated with multicolored lights and hodgepodge ornaments accumulated over the 23 years my parents have been married.  It's always my job to set up my mom's really pretty nativity scene in our living room.  I love the smell and sound of a fire in the fireplace, and eating way too many

Enemy-Occupied Territory

I'm just going to quit apologizing for the gargantuan gaps of time between my posts.  I never promised to be on a schedule anyway. Plus, I'm pretty sure I'm allergic to deadlines.  It's a problem. So, today I am sitting in the old coliseum, which I will miss terribly when/if they tear it down.  Through running all the miles and stairs this building and I have bonded.  Also, there's never anyone in here other than the occasional intense power walker or P.E. majors, which makes for a good place to run as well as just sit and think or get into some scripture.  I love this place :) This past weekend, Jay (my hilarious, 10 year old brother for those who don't know) and I spent a couple of hours bonding over one of the best PS2 games ever: StarWars Battlefront. * Dork Alert * But seriously, we love that game.  I definitely do, since its one of very few video games I can comprehend enough to play well.  If you have absolutely no idea what I'm talking abo